Apr 7, 2012

Easter dinner with some new friends

I am not sure how many people really even look at my blog, and that is okay! I don't usually have much time to write on here anyway. I wanted to write this down so that I can always remember it. However, tonight one of the coolest nights I have had in a long time. For the past several months (since school began) we have had the fun opportunity to take 4 kind Chinese ladies to the store for their grocery shopping. We have taken them quite often. They are teaching in the high school, middle school, and two of the elementary schools here. Both Seth and Spencer have them for teachers. Well...two of them. So we take them shopping because they don't have cars, and there really isn't a public transportation system here at all. It is a lot of fun. They have taught Seth and Spencer more Chinese games, what kids do their age in China, etc. We invited them over to our house today for dinner. We decided to give them a traditional Easter dinner. Then we painted Easter eggs with them. We talked about where they are from, and where Charlotte is from. It was great. They loved loved to play with Maggie and Charlotte. Maggie was absolutely enjoying the attention. 3 of the 4 teachers left their 1 or 2 year old kids (2 had a girl one had a boy) and husbands to come here to teach Chinese and it has been hard for them to leave their babies. I talk to one of the teachers more often about kids, and she misses her daughter incredibly. They are so dedicated to be here and to teach the kids here. I really admire them and think they are wonderful people. I found out that Chinese culture is different than Japanese or even my culture. They are not afraid to ask any question, and are very open about everything. Maggie was having a blast dancing and talking up a storm with them. I felt so happy to have them come. I really enjoyed the night tonight. I have really enjoyed the time I have had to be with them and help them to do some shopping. I am so happy to have adopted a daughter with that same wonderful culture as these fine women have. Did I mention their English names? Crystal, Sherry, Grace, and Kathy.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That is so awesome that you are able to help them experience American culture and help the with grocery shopping. That is heartbreaking that they had to leave their little ones so far away. So do all the schools there teach Chinese?! That is amazing.